Deprescribing opioids for patients
The rise in pharmaceutical opioid related deaths and hospitalisations in Australia has been reported by the AIHW (2018) and the Australian media.
GPs have been tasked with tapering or reducing patient dosages of opioids. To do this, GPs require knowledge of best practice methods for achieving positive outcomes for patients.
This 90 minute webinar will provide GPs with strategies to wean patients from opioids while supporting their psychological, physical and behavioural responses.
The presenters for the webinar were:
- A/Prof Steven Faux – Director at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney Rehabilitation Unit
- Dr Jane Wheatley – Clinical and Health Psychologist in Department of Pain Management at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney
- Dr Hester Wilson – Chair of RACGP GP Special Interest in Addiction
You can watch the full webinar here.
Below are some time stamps that can take you directly to a topic of interest in the webinar:
- Introduction to case study
- FPM Opioid Calculator
- A/Prof Steven Faux: Deprescribing opiates
- Dr Jane Wheatley: Tapering of opioids – Supporting patients' psychological, physical and behavioural responses
- Dr Hester Wilson: Resources to support informing the chronic pain patient about physiology of pain
- Dr Hester Wilson: Tapering of opioids – Communication pathways between specialist and GPs; who is responsible for what?
- Dr Hester Wilson: Questions about S8, opioids and substance use disorder
- Panel discussion of case study
- Questions from the participants: tapentadol / short and long acting opioids